Italy Housing Information
Absolutely Essential Information
Please read this information first.
- As a participant on an Arcadia University program, you are guaranteed housing. Your program fee includes accommodation.
- Arcadia University’s priority is to provide accommodation that supports your studies and enables you to experience the local culture. Accommodation is selected by Arcadia University based on these factors, in addition to considering safety, security and cost. For these reasons, Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time.
- To indicate your housing preferences, submit them using your Arcadia Passport. Before completing this form, you should review the information below as well as the Arcadia University Housing Policy located in the Student Handbook. Students are welcome to submit one roommate request; however, requests must be mutually submitted on your housing form. While we will work to honor your housing preferences and roommate requests, specific assignments cannot be guaranteed.
- In order to consider your preferences, Arcadia must receive your Housing Preferences by the housing deadline. If your form is not received before the housing deadline, you will automatically be assigned to available program accommodations.
- Spring Semester: November 1
- Fall Semester: May 15
- All Year Programs: May 15
- Summer Programs: April 15
If you require accommodations for any special needs—including dietary, medical or physical—you should indicate this on your electronic Housing Preference Form. Any information will be treated as confidential and will only be shared with those individuals involved in your housing placement.
Arcadia University encourages students to live in housing sponsored by the host university or provided by Arcadia. Although housing is guaranteed for students participating on Arcadia programs, you have the option to petition to decline this service and find your own independent accommodation. If you decide to do so, please notify your program manager to speak about your options, and submit a written request to live apart from Arcadia-arranged housing. We ask that you make this request as soon as possible so the appropriate approval process can be completed. If you fail to complete this process before the appropriate housing deadline listed above you will be subject to penalty fees in accordance with the Arcadia University Housing Policy. Students living independent of Arcadia provided housing assume any risks associated.
Student apartments or flats afford a high degree of independence and allow you to experience university life as Italian students would. You will typically live with other American or international students and have access to shared kitchen facilities. In most cases, you will prepare your own meals and should be prepared for a commute to campus.
Your housing arrangement – although important – should not be the sole measure that determines your academic and personal success overseas. Living situations vary and opportunities differ from city to city. For example, apartment and residence life may accommodate Italian, international, or program students in either a single, double or triple room. Regardless, observing and participating in the day-to-day activities of an Italian living arrangement is one of the best ways to be completely engaged with Italian language and culture.
Very Important Additional Points:
- Every room is different and unique and while Arcadia ensures that all rooms satisfy general standards, there is no way to guarantee uniformity of apartment and room sizes, distance from your university, furnishings or facilities.
- Italy is an environmentally friendly country and air-conditioning and central heating are not standard in a typical residence. In most cases, the heating will be regulated by the local government, being turned on and off depending on local ordinance. Remember that it will take some time to adjust to the climate.
- You should typically expect a 15-20 minute commute from your housing to your program site (with the exception of the Rome program). You may need to take the bus or other public transportation. You will be responsible for any commuting costs.
- Internet access will vary depending upon your housing venue. Regardless, internet access is available through Arcadia study centers, host-institution libraries and study centers, and internet cafés.
- As an Arcadia program participant, housing will remain available to you during the semester, including mid-semester breaks. However, accommodation is not available before the program start date or once the program has ended.
- Most housing venues provide bed linens, blankets and pillows. If not, the Arcadia staff will be able to direct you accordingly after you arrive. As packing space is limited, bringing these materials is not recommended.
- Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time should circumstances warrant.
Program Specific Housing options: