Dr. Pradyumna S. Chauhan
Professor of English
Dr. Chauhan, educated in India, England, and the States, has taught in higher education in three countries (United States, India, and Nepal) for 55 years. He has written two books, numerous reviews, articles, and chapters on American, British, and postcolonial authors. He is active in scholarly bodies of Europe and the United States, such as the Modern Language Association, the South Asian Literary Association, the Association of Commonwealth Literatures and Languages (London), Multi-Ethnic Society of Europe and the Americas (Heidelberg), and the U.S. Association of Commonwealth Literatures (Santa Clara, CA). He has presented papers at University of Lavelle (Canada), Sorbonne University (Paris), University of Orleans (France), Padua University, Padua (Italy), University of Huelva (Spain), Universite Francois Rabelais, Tours (France), University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg (Germany), and Nanjing University, Nanjing (China), and participated in the White House Conference on Higher Education. Professionally, his work has been supported by Rockefeller Foundation Humanities Fellowship; two English-Speaking Union Awards, a National Endowment for Humanities Scholarship; and a Fulbright Scholarship. He received the Arcadia University Professor of the Year award in 1995 and the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1976.
Representative Publications and Presentations
- Chauhan, P. (2007). "'Home' and the Construction of New English Fiction." In M. Lal & S. Kumar (Eds.), Interpreting Homes in South Asian Literature. Delhi: Pearson Longman. pp. 209-220.
- Chauhan, P. (August 17-22, 2007). "Rushdie’s Fury and the Global Stage." Presented at the Association for Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies, 14th Triennial Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Chauhan, P. (December 29, 2007). "Violence, Terrorism, and the Human Rights." [chair] Divisional panel at the Modern Language Assoc. Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Chauhan, P. (2006). "South Asian Literature: 1890-2000." In The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Multiethnic American Literature, (4:2077-2089). Westport, CT and London: Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Chauhan, P. [Guest-editor], (2005). V.S. Naipaul: His Ideas, Work, and Art. Special Issue of South Asian Review, 26:1. 427 pp.
- Chauhan, P. (2002). “Claude McKay and Salman Rushdie: Negotiating the Colonial/Postcolonial World,” Literature on the Move: Diasporic Ethnicities in Europe and the Americas. Ed. Dominique Marcais, et al. Heidelberg (Germany): Universitatsverlag: American Studies Vol. 97, 309-315.
- Chauhan, P. (2001). Salman Rushdie Interviews: A Sourcebook of His Ideas. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publications.
American Council of Learned Societies Travel Grants, Rockefeller Foundation Humanities Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities, Institute of International Education Award, Senior Visiting Fellow, American Studies Research Institute, Hyderabad