HML Subject Guide
Use the Healthcare Management and Leadership subject guide pages to find resources to support literature research.
Recommended databases for finding authoritative and scholarly articles in Healthcare Management and Leadership
Top Databases for HML
- Health Business Elite* “…Comprehensive journal content detailing all aspects of healthcare administration and other non-clinical aspects of healthcare institution management.”
- Business Source Complete* Arcadia University’s largest and most comprehensive database for business.
- PubMed Go-to resource for many health science professionals. Paid for by tax dollars rather than tuition, it’s one that will be accessible after completion of the program at AU. An excellent place to conduct health science literature searching.
- Biomedical Reference Collection* Contains over 4,000 full-text journals covering a variety of disciplines ranging from biomedicine and health sciences to the health care system and pre-clinical sciences.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition* Over 350 journals on nursing and allied health literature.
Next Databases for HML
- Academic Search Ultimate* A large, academically multidisciplinary article database that is a very good place to start a scholarly literature search.
- WorldCat A huge database of books and other materials found in libraries across the U.S. and worldwide that you can borrow using Interlibrary Loan.
- All Databases All of Landman Library’s article databases.
While it’s helpful to know individual titles, the most effective way to search for articles is to use article databases like those listed above.
- Frontiers of Health Services Management* An official publication of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE). “Frontiers’ unique “bookazine” format gives you the deep understanding gained from books but in a shorter format, like a magazine.”
- Healthcare Management Forum* HMF is the official peer-reviewed journal of the Canadian College of Health Leaders. “…Leading practices related to health leadership and management, including recent research, new technology and professional practices from health leaders’ perspectives.”
- International Journal of Health Policy and Management “…Brings together individual specialties from different fields, notably health management, health policy, and health economics into a dynamic academic mix.” This journal is open access.
- Journal of Healthcare Leadership “The publication strives to amalgamate current and future healthcare professionals and managers by providing key insights into leadership progress and challenges to improve patient care.” This journal is open access.
- Journal of Healthcare Management* The official journal of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) that is “dedicated to providing healthcare leaders with the information they need to manage complex healthcare issues and to make effective strategic decisions.”
- Databases Links and descriptions for top journal databases like Health Business Elite* and Business Source Complete*.
- Journals A list of select top journals in Healthcare Management and Leadership like Journal of Healthcare Leadership and Journal of Healthcare Management*.
Can’t Find Full-text?
1. Sometimes you have a citation in hand for an article.
2. Sometimes a journal database or internet browser doesn’t provide full-text.
Learn the steps to find another database where it might be.
Get articles to journals we don’t even subscribe to with Interlibrary Loan.
Links and descriptions for Healthcare Management and Leadership books from AccessMedicine*, Ebook Central*, and others.
To support coursework and literature research for Healthcare Management and Leadership
- AMA Manual of Style* (11th ed., 2020)
- Principles of Healthcare Leadership* (2017)
- Mastering Leadership: A Vital Resource for Health Care Organizations* (2015)
Direct access to this provider’s business/management collection* and healthcare delivery collection*
- Manual of Healthcare Leadership: Essential Strategies for Physician and Administrative Leaders* (2014)
- Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine* (2nd ed., 2017)
- Management Lessons from Mayo Clinic: Inside One of the World’s Most Admired Service Organizations* (2017)
- AccessMedicine is a product of McGraw-Hill Education featuring its own titles.
Direct access to this provider’s collection*
Risk Management in Healthcare Institutions: Limiting Liability and Enhancing Care (2014), and others.
More than 200 premium books published in medicine, nursing, and health sciences that have been designated as Doody’s Core Titles™ by healthcare professionals and medical librarians.
- Books[at]Ovid is a product of Wolters-Kluwer featuring titles by various publishers.
- Direct access to this provider’s business/management collection* and healthcare delivery collection*
- Strategic Planning in Healthcare: An Introduction for Health Professionals* (2018)
- Analytics and Decision Support in Health Care Operations Management* (2017)
- Managing the Long-Term Care Facility: Practical Approaches to Providing Quality Care* (2016)
EBC is a product of ProQuest featuring titles by various publishers.
Links and descriptions for Healthcare Management and Leadership websites like Arcadia University’s Healthcare Management and Leadership Program. For professional development and additional literature research.
American College of Healthcare Executives ACHE “is the professional society for healthcare leaders committed to improving health.” Access to the most current issue of its professional magazine Healthcare Executive is open. Access to older issues is available with Arcadia University credentials: Healthcare Executive.
Canadian College of Health Leaders CCHL “strives to provide the leadership development, tools, knowledge and networks that members need to become high impact leaders in Canadian healthcare.” The Healthcare Management Forum blog is an openly accessible supplement to the official journal of the same name. Access to Healthcare Management Forum journal is available with Arcadia University credentials.
*Arcadia University login credentials required.