Policy and Process for Early Course Registration
The ADA requires that all colleges provide accommodations to students with disabilities. Requesting permission to register early is a reasonable accommodation for students with certain disabilities and medical conditions.
In order to be granted permission to register early due to a disability, the following conditions must be met:
- Documentation must be current and accepted according to university guidelines.
- Documentation must specifically address a medical reason that necessitates allowing a student to register early. For example, if a student requests early registration because he/she has narcolepsy and needs to enroll in a certain section classes in order to participate in those classes, the documentation must provide evidence of this neurologic condition as well as details regarding the specific reason for the request.
- A Disability Support Services Early Course Registration form must be completed and signed by the Director of Academic Development, Disability Services Coordinator, or Disability Specialist every semester the accommodation is needed and requested. This form needs to be attached by the student to his/her standard registration form with the advisor’s signature. If the student does not need an advisor’s signature (because he/she is an upperclassman), the form still needs to be attached to a registration form and brought to the Registrar’s Office prior to the student’s standard registration date.
Process for Requesting Early Course Registration
- The student must have identified him or herself with Office of Academic Development/Disability Support Services and have submitted complete and acceptable documentation of how his/her disability condition affects the scheduling of classes.
- The student must schedule an appointment to meet with someone in Office of Academic Development/Disability Support Services prior to registration to discuss the request.
- If appropriate, the student will be given a signed Disability Support Services Early Course Registration form.
- The student must attach the signed Disability Support Services Early Course Registration form to his/her standard registration form, which would have an advisor’s signature (if required).
- These materials must be submitted by the student to the Registrar’s Office prior to his/her registration date.
- If there is a hold on the student’s account, he or she will be unable to register until the hold is removed.
Note: Being allowed to register early does not guarantee that the classes will be open.