Admission Requirements for English, MA
The following requirements must be met:
- Complete a graduate application, including personal statements, to be completed online.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a recommended GPA of 3.0 or better. If the undergraduate degree is not from a Department of English, the undergraduate major can be in another traditional Humanities/Social Science discipline, or in a professional or pre-professional field if accompanied by strong undergraduate training in English Studies.
- One official transcript from each college, university or professional school attended. Transfer credits included on a transcript must include grades earned; if not, an official transcript from the original school must be submitted. Transcripts must be sent from the issuing school in a sealed envelope and contain the appropriate signatures and seals to be considered official.
- Two letters of recommendation. The letters must be of a professional not personal nature. If the student has been out of school five years or less, at least one letter must come from a professor.
- An academic writing sample (15-20 pages).
International applicants should visit Arcadia’s International Admissions page for detailed information on admission requirements and application procedures. Official results from the TOEFL or IELTS are required for all students for whom English is a second language or who have not earned degrees or diplomas from post-secondary institutions in English-speaking countries (e.g. the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand). A course-by-course evaluation of all transcripts by an independent evaluation service based in the United States also is required.
All application materials must be sent to the Office of Enrollment Management.
Our priority application deadline is December 15 for Spring Entry and March 1 for Fall Entry. After these deadlines, decisions will be made as space allows.
Tuition rates can be found on our Graduate Tuition and Fees page.
Graduate students who have been accepted into a degree program and are enrolled for at least 6 credits per semester are eligible to apply for financial aid. Please visit our Financial Aid and Scholarships page for information regarding available aid options, and visit the Aid Options and How to Apply page to complete required forms online.
Graduate Assistantships/Graduate Student Employment
Graduate Assistantships/Graduate Student Employment may be available to graduate students registered for at least 9 credits per semester. Students may apply for assistantships upon acceptance and registration. Questions regarding graduate assistantships should be directed to the Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Studies at 215-572-2925.
Graduate students are eligible to borrow through the Federal Direct Stafford Loan and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan programs provided they are taking at least 6 credits per semester (in the summer, 6 credits over all summer sessions combined satisfies this requirement.) For more information, visit Arcadia’s Financial Aid and Scholarships page.