The Compass at Arcadia
The Compass provides a platform for undergraduate research and insight. Subjects include anthropology, art, biology, business, chemistry, communications, education, English, modern languages, gender studies, sciences, sociology, international studies, law, mathematics, philosophy, psychology, religious studies, and more. The dedicated work of a team of talented students in Arcadia University’s Honors Program makes the publication possible. The mission of the Compass is to:
- Inspire, intrigue, and inform our audience;
- Cultivate scholarly community and intellectual curiosity by featuring multidisciplinary perspectives;
- Build an intellectual collaborative community that promotes the circulation of research and ideas.
Compass Issue Samples
Take a look at our most recent and popular* issues of the Compass.
*Based on the average number of full-text downloads per day since the paper was posted.
Want to see more?
You can see and search for more issues of the Compass.
How to Submit Your Work:
Submissions should be formatted in Chicago style with a bibliography. End notes should be included in place of footnotes. (However, you will still be considered for publication if you use another citation format).
1. Fill out the online Submission Form. Students collaborating with other students or a faculty member in the writing and/or research leading to the final paper must attest to the work being their own and that The Compass has the co-authors' permission to publish.
2. Email your submission as a word document attachment to email@example.com. The email format is as follows:
– The Subject line of the email should start with "APP:" and should include applicant’s name and paper’s field of study. Ex. “APP: Hanna Lee, Psychology”
– The Body of the email should include a 30 word summary description to be used as an abstract for the website.
– The attachment should be named with applicant’s last name, first name, and title of the paper. Ex. “Lee, Hanna: The Effects of Depression on REM Sleep”
Please note: we will review submissions of any length, and we will review multiple submissions, within reason.
Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis. Each submission will be reviewed by a member of the Extended Review Board comprised primarily of current Arcadia faculty within the discipline of the submission. Once a piece has been designated as scholarly by the extended review board, it is then reviewed by at least one member of the Editorial Board, comprised of Arcadia undergraduate students, who will recommend acceptance, acceptance with revisions, or rejection. The decision will then be communicated to the submitter along with any changes that may be required. Additional information may be requested after acceptance including a photo and a short biography.
Once a submission is accepted for publication, an author is required to regularly communicate with student editors. Student editors will work closely with authors to revise formatting, syntax, grammar, or any other issues with an accepted submission. Revisions must be finalized on a timely basis. If an author is unavailable for the editing process, The Compass staff reserves the right to discontinue publication of a given paper.