Arcadia offers many post baccalaureate/graduate level teacher preparation programs for initial certification and for those seeking professional development for additional certification:
- Grades PK-4
- Art Education PK-12
- Reading Specialist PK-12
- Secondary Content Areas:
- Special Education PK-12
- Special Education (Add-on)
- ESL Program Specialist
- Administrative and Supervisory Certifications:
Our programs are designed to train innovative, highly qualified and dedicated teachers through hands-on courses based on the latest research and methodology, meaningful student teaching and field experiences and convenient continuing education programs for busy professionals. Students can enroll in a certification program only or apply the courses towards a master’s degree.
Students who have completed an approved certification program at Arcadia University can apply for certification through PDE’s Teacher Information Management System (TIMS) – MyPDESuite. As part of your application for certification, Arcadia University Certification Officer will review your academic record and other requirements to verify your eligibility for certification. Once your eligibility is confirmed, Arcadia will provide a recommendation for certification on your behalf to PDE. Learn more about the TIMS application process.
The following are the program Exit Requirements to verify the eligibility for certification:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
- Completion of an approved program of study leading to certification in the area of certificate requested.
- Satisfactory completion of student teaching, fieldwork or internship (required grade of “B” or better) in the area of certification.
- Completion of a professional portfolio.
- Recommendation of University Certification Officer on the TIMS application.
Once PA Department of Education issues the teaching certificate, students who seek certification outside of Pennsylvania can explore the Interstate Agreement, National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). The contract signed by Pennsylvania, provides for acceptance of state-approved educator preparation programs between certain states to facilitate educator mobility. All jurisdictions that participate in the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement may choose to have additional requirements for educators who are coming from another jurisdiction.