Students apply for their teaching certificate by submitting an application to the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS).
- Applicants first set up a TIMS user account and obtain their Personal Profession ID (PPID).
- In the TIMS system, applicants will make a new credential application and provide verification of a bachelor’s degree, completion of an approved teacher education program, and passing exam scores.
- PA Testing Requirements: Pennsylvania requires assessment of candidates in General Knowledge, Professional Knowledge and Subject Area Knowledge prior to issuance of a certificate. See PA Department of Education Certification Test and Score Requirements to locate the appropriate required tests for your certification area.
- For undergraduates, your degree must be conferred before the PA Department of Education can evaluate your application. Thus, TIMS applications are not accepted by the PA Department of Education more than 30 days prior to your preparation program completion and your undergraduate degree conferral.
- Students can get step by step instructions and support on making the application to TIMS by using the TIMS Help User guide.
The Certification Office in the School of Education at Arcadia University provides assistance and support for current and former Arcadia students seeking one or more approved PA Educator certifications through the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE).
Arcadia University Certification Officer
Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE)
You can reach the Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality at 717-PA-TEACH (728-3224) or 717-787-3356 or by clicking Chat with certification staff.
PDE Certification Staff are available for Phone and Chat on:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Tuesday 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Thursday 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
If you do not have time to wait or have a question outside of these hours, submit a PDE Help Desk ticket. You will receive a response via email within 24-48 hours.