This major requires 44 credits, but 24 credits must be devoted exclusively to Spain-related study areas.
The courses to be taken by a student as part of the major must cover at least four different areas from the following: Culture, Art History, History, Politics, Geography, Literature, Cinema, Music, and Economy.
The 24 credits do not include language, conversation, and composition courses, areas in which the student should be proficient before entering the new major and/or traveling abroad.
The Capstone or senior thesis must be focused or centered on themes or issues relating to Spain.
The courses taken in Glenside in Spain-related areas, such as literature, cinema, and culture and civilization, will count toward the major. It is highly advisable that a student entering the major takes SP 305 Spanish Culture and Civilization before departing, in order to have a country background before entering the major.
Sequence of Studies
Freshman and/or Sophomore Years in Glenside
Completion of the following courses before departing:
- SP 202 Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture
- SP 203 Spanish Conversation I or
- SP 204 Spanish Conversation II
One departmental class concerning Spanish history and culture.
Junior Year—Study in Spain
Students have the possibility of studying in Granada. Speak with your adviser to plan your study abroad experience.
Return to Glenside campus in order to complete:
- SP 490 Senior Thesis
- SP 491 Senior Thesis II (2 credits)
- ML 370 Career Internship in Modern Languages
- SP 235 Spanish through Translation
- SP 240 Spanish for Medical Careers
- SP 241 Spanish for Social Services
- SP 242 Spanish for Business
- SP 270 The Hispanic Experience in Philadelphia
- SP 285 Selected Topics in Spanish (3 - 4 credits)
- SP 305 Spanish Culture and Civilization
- SP 306 Latin American Culture and Civilization
- SP 314 Contemporary Spanish Literature
- SP 315 Contemporary Latin American Literature
- SP 324 Survey of Spanish Literature
- SP 325 Survey of Latin American Literature
- SP 326 The Hispanic World Through Film
- SP 327 Iconic Women of Spain
- SP 333 Advanced Spanish Composition
- SP 385 Special Topics in Spanish
- SP 389 Independent Study: Spanish (2 - 4 credits)
- US 234 Representations of the Spanish Civil War
- US 236 Christian, Jewish and Muslim Spain: From Eden to Exile