Dwyer Joins Communications Department

By Purnell T. Cropper | September 24, 2010

By Marykate Torley ’11

Dr. Michael Dwyer is the newest addition to Arcadia’s growing Communications program. Having recently completed his English Ph.D. at Syracuse University, Dwyer believes his work in communication and media studies is an all-encompassing study of English, fine arts, anthropology, history, sociology, and even information sciences.

When asked, “Why Arcadia?” Dwyer maintains that it was Arcadia University that chose him.  Both he and Dr. Shekhar Deshpande, Associate Professor and Director of the Communications program, were giving lectures at the Society for Cinema and Media Studies in Los Angeles last March. Dwyer was then invited to the campus where he deemed the place and people “spectacular.” This year, he is teaching Introduction to Media Studies, Writing and Communications, and Media Studies.

Most appreciated by Dwyer is Arcadia’s friendly feel. “I’ve had faculty stop by my office or pull me aside and introduce themselves just because they don’t recognize my face—which is quite different from some of the schools I’ve attended where nobody really talks to anyone.” Dwyer also enjoys the ‘small college’ feeling that Arcadia exudes, “even though the University has gone through so much growth and change.”

Outside of Arcadia, Dwyer and a few friends recently have begun an online music service called RustBeltRising, which features underground events and show listings of punk, indie, emo, and hardcore bands in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and New York. His other interests include soccer, public transportation, baked goods, bicycling, pub trivia, Scrabble, and karaoke versions of New Jack Swing classics.

So far, Dwyer’s favorite part of Arcadia (aside from the brownies served at faculty appreciation day) has been “the support and welcome I’ve received from faculty and students, particularly in the Communications program.”