Chef’s Corner: Snow Can’t Stop Parkhurst Associates

By Purnell T. Cropper | January 28, 2011

By Gene Boyle, Executive Chef, Malcolm Whitaker, Executive Sous Chef, and Jen Rudolfo, Director of Catering

The first major snowfall of the year hit this week, and while you were enjoying your day off from work or school, a group of diehard Parkhurst Dining associates braved the roads to make sure the students were fed Thursday.

We wanted to take our column this week to thank our associates who came into work. Without them, the chefs and managers here would have had to live at the University for the past 24 hours. Because of their dedication to their jobs, they made the day easier and more enjoyable for all.

Snow days are never fun for us as we worry about how our associates are going to make it into work when SEPTA stops running. Most of our workers take SEPTA each and every day.

The morning started off great when a group of Dining Hall workers, driven in by breakfast cook Emory Jackson, walked in the back door at 5:30 a.m. His passengers on the unplowed roads were Althea Singletary, Lavoun Scott, and Moriell Isaac. Terrie Thompson came in by taxi not soon after. We were thrilled to see our Seam Evans show up around 8 a.m. He had actually walked here. Baker Angela Pickwell shoveled her car out and made it in to make cakes and cookies for everyone.

Later that morning, Greg Satko and Beth Hatch were driven in by their parents. Jen Rodolfo picked up Leroy Freeman, Malik Swann, and Curtis Logan at Broad and Olney.  Jen was our shuttle driver for the day.

As the morning crew finally got ready to leave, the night crew, led by Supervisors Michelle Ford and Desiree Richardson, came in. Michelle brought Troy Ford, who had walked to her house for a ride. Louis Stanford made it in by foot. Gene Williams picked up Hussayn Muhhamad on his way here. Alisha Singleton and Dwight Williford walked from Cheltenham Mall when they could not get a bus any closer to Arcadia.  The evening crew was joined by Keenan Jackson and Issac Israel.

We had many more associates who tried to make it in and waited a long time for a bus to come to their neighborhood, so they could get close to campus.

We want to recognize the people who made it in for their hard work and flexibility.  Many did whatever was needed to be done—from mopping the floors, washing dishes and going beyond the call of duty. The teamwork and can-do attitude the associates showed was a reflection of how much they care for their jobs and understanding that no matter what students need to be fed.