JoLynne Holloman ’10: A Taste of the Big Screen

By Purnell T. Cropper | January 29, 2010

By Sarah R. Schwartz ’10

Printmaking, teaching, and campaigning for the latest independent films, it seems there is nothing that JoLynne Holloman ’10 can’t do. A Communications major with a concentration in Video Production and a minor in Studio Art, Holloman has taken the first steps in what is already a very promising career.

In Fall ’09 she got a taste of the big screen by working with Nicole Opper, a New York based producer and director who was recently named one of the 25 New Faces of Independent Film by Filmmaker Magazine. Holloman helped to build an outreach campaign for Opper’s up-and-coming film Off and Running which is set to theatrically release this February in New York and will be on PBS in spring 2010.

“Nicole was able to teach me about film outreach and the tools necessary to successfully promote an independent film,” says Holloman.  “This isn’t really something covered in any class I’ve had at Arcadia, making the information invaluable.”

In summer 2009 Holloman held a position as a printmaking assistant at Space 1026, a popular art collective in downtown Philadelphia. She also interned with the School District of Philadelphia teaching art to early elementary aged children. Now Holloman is leaving the door open for more education. “I learned that I could potentially return to school to get my certification to teach art K-12, something I initially never thought about pursuing,” she says.

After trying out many different fields, Holloman has already found a niche. While finishing up her senior year, She is working in customer service for Whole Foods Markets. “They were extremely interested in my ability to hold many positions at once.  This showed the potential for me to work successfully at many tasks while still delivering quality work to each thing that I was working on.” Upon graduation she plans to pursue leadership roles in the company while freelancing as an editor.

“I would advise students not to wait for direction.  Make the first step yourself and plan ahead. Things aren’t going to just happen unless you actively seek out opportunities in the places that you’d like to work.”