Scheidt Wins Region II Award for Make-Up Design

By Purnell T. Cropper | January 22, 2010

Katie Scheidt ’10 was the winner of the Region II Alcone Company Make-up Design Award for her make-up design for Arcadia University’s production of The Princess Rescuers at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival for Region II on Thursday, Jan. 14, at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. The purpose of the Alcone Company Award is to give outstanding student designers national recognition and the opportunity to exhibit their work at the Kennedy Center. Schiedt will be going to the National Festival at the Kennedy Center in April. Schiedt previously had be awarded a Region II Certificate of Merit for Excellence in Make-up Design and Application.

“Being a part of the first group from Arcadia to participate in this festival was so rewarding,” says Scheidt, a senior Acting major at Arcadia University and a resident of Reading, Pa.. “We had such a huge group of very talented and devoted students and professors who were constantly supporting each other. I could not have asked for a better experience. It also is great that all the support cam from and carries over into our department every day. These past four years have been such a great learning experience.”

Schiedt studied in London, England, in the First-Year Study Abroad Experience in 2006 and returned to England in 2008 to study at Goldsmith’s University.

“Upon graduation I plan to move out to Los Angeles, Calif., to continuing to pursue my dream of becoming an actress, but along the way I want to learn more about special effects make-up and work for a production company, preferrably BBC America. At Arcadia, I’ve appeared as Holly Seabe in Anton in show Business and as Sylvia Fowler in The Women. I am currently in The Misanthrope as Celimene. I’ve also appeared in CATS, Seussical the Musical, Grease, Footloose, and The Scarlet Pimpernal.”