Davis Benefits from Faculty Encouragement, Financial Aid

By Purnell T. Cropper | March 2, 2010

By Sarah R. Schwartz ’10

Misook Davis ’10, a Pre-Art Therapy major, always visualized herself in a field that combines her desire to provide support with her passion for art. Arcadia provided the specialized major and cohesive community that was necessary to make Davis’ dreams a reality and today she is living the Arcadia Promise.

As a transfer student, Davis was looking for more than just a Pre-Art Therapy program. “I was looking for a smaller university with smaller class sizes so that I would receive the personal attention I felt was necessary for my education,” she says.

“I have learned so much about myself and the major because of the faculty’s encouragement and expertise,” Davis says. “My professors went out of their way to ensure that I leave this university with a greater sense of knowing who I am and what I am capable of accomplishing.”

When circumstances made it difficult to afford tuition, Arcadia’s mutually supportive community stepped in. “Financial Aid has helped me attend Arcadia because of their helpful advice and compassionate attitude towards my family and I,” she says. “I was always able to speak to my financial aid advisor in confidence. Many times the help we needed was met.”

Davis also received scholarships to continue her studies. “It gives a student piece of mind knowing that their hard work is being recognized by providing a way to receive an education.”

In addition to her studies, Davis is an active member of the community. She is involved in Rockappella, the Rock Climbing Club and the Arcadia Ambassadors, giving tours of the campus to perspective students.

She also is concentrating on new challenges. “My plans for the future are to enter graduate school to further my art therapy education.  I want to focus on helping children and teens.” Having benefited from the personal attention that is the hallmark of Arcadia’s learning community, Davis plans to pay it forward.