Student Media Cover Story with National Press

By Purnell T. Cropper | March 9, 2010

Their “mark” was on the top row of the media riser set aside for Arcadia University’s student media. The student photographer and videographer weren’t just toe-to-toe with each other, they were elbow-to-elbow with local, national and international media there to cover President Barack Obama’s speech on health care. Tower Editor Teresa Barone ’10 also was able to join print reporters at the press tables in Kuch Center.

“Seeing the President, as you would expect, was exactly like seeing him on the news, but just the thought that when I looked through the viewfinder of the camera I was using, I was actually one of the people taping the President of the United States was something I could not get my head around,” says Michael Stackhouse, a first-year student and president of the AUTV student video club.

Working with Mark Newhouse of MN Productions, Inc., Stackhouse ran the camera that provided the simulcast on the campus cable TV system, AUTV. His video feed also was webcast live. Stackhouse made a special trip to Kuch Center on Sunday to work with Newhouse on learning about the broadcast camera that he would use on Monday.

“We see so many speeches of his on the news throughout the week, but it was amazing to think that he was right there in front of me, standing in the gymnasium of my college,” Stackhouse says.

“I’ve been a photographer for many years, and I never thought I’d be in a position to take photos of the President,” says Jim DiPaolo, a student photographer for works with University Relations. DiPaolo is a transfer student, and his next assignment is to document Italy Preview next week.