Staller Discusses Artistic Journey on Printsy.com

By schwartzsa | June 24, 2011

Justin Myer Staller, Adjunct Professor of Art and Design, was recently interviewed by Printsy: Printmakers of Etsy, a blog that represents the printmaking artists of online handmade marketplace Etsy.com. He discusses his journey to becoming a printmaker, his artistic inspiration and his passion for his preferred medium, CMYK printing.

What is your favorite print medium and why?
I’m pretty obsessed with CMYK printing and I use CMYK to do just about all of my printing.  My work is a split between screen-printing and photo intaglio printing.  If I had to choose I think I would lean towards the photo intaglio. My thesis, research, and general energy is focused on the advancement of ImagOn and photopolymers. I’m attracted to ImagOn because it allows me to work photographically without being stuck with a boring photograph.  Being able to deconstruct and rebuild an image through the process is really rewarding to me. Working with ImagOn is such a pain […] It requires so much dedication and upkeep that when you are successful you feel like you have tricked some evil lord that’s been thwarting your every move. Because the process is so new there are really no rules, which allows me to create my own way of working without the fears of doing it right.