Orientation: Plant the Seeds of Service

By Purnell T. Cropper | August 5, 2011

“The community service portion of Orientation was a great way to start paying it forward as a student of Arcadia University,” says Danielle Frank ’12. “It was nice to take a step back during the excitement of Orientation week, to meet and help out fellow community members in the Glenside/Philly area, which was the place we would be calling home for the next four years.

“A group of fellow students and I went to Edge Hill Nursing Home to play BINGO with the residents. Most of the residents in the nursing home had very few people who come to visit them. Taking the time out to keep them company was the best gift we could ever give them.

“Participating in the community service part of Orientation, helped to plant the seeds down in starting to make me grow as a globally minded compassionate student of Arcadia. I also connected with fellow students who had similar career goals in wanting to take care and work with different groups of people. Since I plan to work in the counseling field once I graduate, the community service portion of Orientation opened my eyes up to a new setting I may want to work in someday.”