Drs. Parsons Dick, Loury Featured in “Standing Against Hate” Webinar
On Nov. 16, a current and two former members of the Arcadia University community were panelists for part one of a two-part lecture series, Standing Against Hate. Speakers at the webinar included the following:
- Dr. Hilary Parsons Dick, associate professor of International Studies;
- Dr. Doreen E. Loury, former professor of Sociology and director of Pan-African Studies;
- Dr. Andrew Goretsky, former dean of students and current regional director for ADL (the Anti-Defamation League) Philadelphia;
- and Dr. Melissa Borja, assistant professor of American Culture at the University of Michigan.
The discussion, along with a follow-up scheduled for Dec. 14, was presented by the following organizations:
- Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia’s Jewish Community Relations Council,
- Philadelphia Anti-Defamation League,
- Presbytery of Philadelphia,
- Religious Leaders Council of Greater Philadelphia,
- and Interfaith Philadelphia.
The November lecture focused on the history of hate in America including antisemitism, anti-Black, and anti-Asian racism and xenophobia. The December discussion will feature local and state policymakers on the topic of legislative solutions to combating hate.