The Major in French and Francophone Studies strongly encourages the student to spend one or two semesters abroad in France, at Hollins University in Paris. You may choose to spend a semester abroad in another French speaking region or country, for instance, at l’Universite de Laval, Quebec.
Note: If you have no background in French, then you must complete the series FR 101, FR 102, FR 201 before entering the major. A grade of at least a C- in FR 201 must be earned in order to take FR 202, which is the first course that counts toward the major. If you have a previous knowledge of French, you will be placed according to your performance on the French placement inventory.
Before departing, between the freshman and the sophomore years, five classes or 20 credits from the following courses in French:
- FR 202 Intermediate French Language and Culture
- FR 203 French Conversation I or
- FR 204 French Conversation II
- FR 242 The Culture of French Business
- FR 285 Selected Topics in French (3 to 4 credits)
- FR 305 Contemporary France
- FR 306 Francophone Culture and Civilization
- FR 314 Readings in French
- FR 326 Advanced French Through Cinema
Paris – Two semesters
In order to study abroad students should have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Before departing, students must contact the adviser in French, in Glenside, to select courses.
Glenside, Senior Year
- FR 490 French Senior Thesis I
- FR 491 French Senior Thesis II (2 credits)
One Linguistics Course
One departmental course in linguistics taught in English (4 credits).