Mr. Scott Rawlins
Professor of Art and Design
Scott Rawlins is a scientific illustrator, naturalist and museum educator who has been teaching at Arcadia since 1994. He holds degrees from Earlham College (BA, biology), the George Washington University (MAT, museum education) and the University of Michigan (MFA, medical & biological illustration). A strong proponent of study abroad, Scott has traveled to four continents collecting specimens to draw and study. He has served on the board of the American Society of Botanical Artists and is currently president of the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators. Scott’s illustrations have appeared in numerous books, including Your Inner Fish and Shackelford’s Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. Journals that have included his illustrations are Acta Zoologica, Records of the Australian Museum, Harvard’s Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology and Geobios. Most recently, Scott has been helping to visually document Tiktaalik roseae, a newly discovered fish species presently housed at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia.
Recent Exhibitions and Presentations
- Rawlins, S. (April - September 2014). Guild of Natural
Sciences Annual Meeting, University of Colorado Museum of Natural
History, Boulder, CO.
- Rawlins, S. (September 2012). Mitos y Realidades: Inspiraciones de la Republica de Cuba, Arcadia University, Glenside, PA.
- Rawlins, S. (April - September 2012). Focus on Nature XII. The State Museum of New York, Albany, NY.
- Rawlins, S. (July 2010). Presentation: ‘Keeping the “Natural” in Natural Science Illustration.’ North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
- Rawlins, S. (July 2009). Presentation: “Leonardo in the 21st Century: Strategies for Educating Contemporary Scientific Illustration Students.” The University of Maine, Fort Kent, ME.
- Rawlins, S. (April - September 2008). Focus on Nature X. The State Museum of New York, Albany, NY.
- Rawlins, S. (April 2008). Presentation: "Aesthetics and Attitudes in the Golden Age of Natural Science Illustration." The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, PA.
- Rawlins, S. (June - September, 2007). Flowers & Foliage, The New Jersey State Museum, Trenton, NJ.
- Rawlins, S. (2013). Illustrations in the Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (162: 47-59).
- Rawlins, S. (2008). Illustration in Illustrations in Acta Zoologica [90 (Suppl. 1): 306-317]
- Rawlins, S. (March 2008). Illustrations in Today's Botanical Artists by Cora Marcus and Libby Kier. Schiffer Books, Atglen, PA.
- Rawlins, S. (2008). Illustration in Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- Rawlins, S. (2004). Illustrations in The Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology [24(1): 26-40].
- Rawlins, S. (2003). Chapter and Illustration in The Guild Handbook of Scientific Illustration, by Elaine Hodges (ed.). John Wiley & Sons, New York.