Dr. Kristin von Nieda
Associate Professor (CV)
Kristin von Nieda, PT, DPT, M.Ed., Associate Professor, teaches in the entry-level DPT program and is Director of a certificate program entitled Readiness to Practice. This program assists foreign-trained physical therapists to prepare for licensure in the United States. Her experience as a Consultant/Reviewer for the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools, International Commission on Health Professions, provides additional expertise for this position.
Kristin received a certificate in physical therapy from the University of Pennsylvania, a Master’s degree in exercise physiology from Temple University, and a DPT from MGH Institute of Health Professions. Dr. von Nieda brought a wealth of academic experience with her when she joined our faculty including teaching, administration, and extensive clinical experience in acute care and outpatient physical therapy departments.
Kris has participated as a speaker or moderator in 20+ continuing education courses at state/national conferences on topics related to professional ethics, cultural competence, health advocacy and professional issues. She has held leadership positions including being elected to serve on the Board of Directors for the Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Association (PPTA), as a delegate to the House of Delegates, APTA, and as the Chief Delegate. She has also been an active leader in the Section on Education, APT. Dr. von Nieda has contributed chapters in 8 textbooks, published peer-reviewed publications, and given scientific presentations at national meetings. She received the Carlin-Michels Achievement Award from the PPTA in 2009.
Publications and Presentations
- Johnson, MP, Von Nieda, K, Greathouse D: Introduction to Primary Care. In Boissonnault, WG: Primary Care for the Physical Therapist: Examination and Triage (2nd Ed). Elsevier Saunders, 2011.
- Von Nieda, K. (June 2009). "Participation in Providing Physical Therapy Services for the Uninsured: The Value from a Clinical Perspective." Presented at APTA Annual Conference.
- Von Nieda, K. Vascular changes and aging. In Kauffman, T: Geriatric Rehabilitation Handbook, (2nd Ed). Elsevier Health Sciences, 2007.
- Michlovitz, SL, von Nieda, K: Therapeutic heat and cold. In Behrens, BJ and Michlovitz,SL (eds):Physical Agents Theory and Practice. (2nd Edition) Philadelphia, F.A. Davis, 2006.
- Von Nieda, K: Documentation in home health. In May, BJ (ed): Home Health and Rehabilitation: Concepts of Care. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 1999.