Nicholas Wins Three Glyph Awards

By schwartzsa | June 2, 2011

Art Gallery Assistant Jamar Nicholas was the recipient of three 2011 Glyph Awards at the 10th Annual East Coast Black Age of Comics Convention (ECBACC) at the African American Museum in Philadelphia (AAMP). Nicholas was there to accept the Rising Star Award for Best Self-Publisher, Best Male Character as well as the Story of the Year Award on behalf of himself and co-awardee, Geoffrey Canada, for their 2010 adaptation of Fist Stick Knife Gun. It was also his fifth time hosting the event.

“It’s an honor to be nominated,” says Nicholas. “I didn’t expect to win any of the awards, as the pool of talent is always very deep. Geoffrey Canada is becoming a living legend as he tries to create a better world for children. To be able to work with him on adapting his memoir into sequential narrative was personally and professionally fulfilling, so it feels great that the work is being recognized.

“More recently, I have been working with Arcadia’s Office of University Relations on several cartoon projects featuring the Arcadia Knight mascot, and have some great things coming down the road with that. I am also currently in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign to help fund an all-ages graphic novel set that I am creating with my virtual studio partners, better known as the Comic Book Diner.”