Oakman Named Judge in Poetry Chapbook Contest

By Purnell T. Cropper | January 12, 2010

Tamara Oakman, a student in the M.A. in English program, has been named as a judge for the Black Women’s Arts Festival’s first Poetry Chapbook Contest. “Tamara Oakman’s is a name I’ve seen many times on the internet waves in regards to Philadelphia poetry,” writes Cassendre Xavier, Founder and Executive Director of the festival. “She’s hosted, co-hosted, or created various venues in this town and our paths were going to cross! If you’re a burgeoning or performing poet in or near Philly, I highly recommend networking with Tamara and/or following her schedule! … She says, ‘Whenever I read a work I don’t get caught up on technique. Anybody can learn technique. Hanabi-Ko (Koko) the gorilla wrote Haikus about bananas. What I like to read is something that cuts me up on the inside, makes me laugh, makes me see something in a different way, moves me. A poem could be about a stick on the ground and still be stirring.” Read more about Oakman’s biography.

Calls for submissions of the chapbook contest will be released soon. Visit www.BWAFphilly.org to learn more about the Black Women’s Arts Festival. To be a feature at this year’s Festival (as a performer, exhibitor, or workshop presenter), visit www.bwaf2010submissions.eventbrite.com or www.tinyurl.com/ya8bv67.