Weaver Wins Logo-Design Contest

By Purnell T. Cropper | October 22, 2010

By Sarah R. Schwartz ’10

Graphic Design major Ashlee Weaver ’11 recently designed the new logo for the Friends of Elkins Park Library (FEPL). The project was part of an assignment for the spring 2010 Graphic Design III, Logo Systems section with David Copestakes, Assistant Professor of Art and Design.

When Drusilla Buscemi, Arcadia’s Director of Development and FEPL Board Member, became aware the Library was in need of a new logo and letterhead system, she approached Copestakes’ class to help with the community project.  Together they organized an assignment that gave students the opportunity to work directly with a client, creating an logo congruent with the mission statement and vision of the organization. Glenn Rall, the President of FEPL, and Buscemi, selected the winner.

“It was a fun individual assignment. When all the submissions were in, Drusilla came to our class and announced the winner,” explains Weaver. “I remember I was taking a sip from a bottle of water and almost choked when she said my name. I was too busy trying to swallow to say anything intelligent or polite. And I don’t think I got over the slight shock until class ended. I was just very dazed but excited.”

For their efforts, FEPL presented all class participants a Logo Design book. Weaver was awarded a $250 check, for her winning design.

“We were absolutely delighted with the winning logo and thought all the students did a great job,” says Buscemi. “Her design incorporated a unique sculpture on the grounds of the library and represented it as a book. We thought it was very clever.”

Weaver is continuing work with Buscemni and the FEPL, developing additional marketing materials and, she says, she loves every minute of it.