Art History Alumnus Jeremy Kramer ’15 Interns at Philadelphia Museum of Art

By Susan Gettlin | October 12, 2015

One of the things I appreciate most about the internship program is that it illuminates all of the exciting and diverse work that goes on at the museum. I made valuable connections that I know will help make my career goals a reality.

The summer after graduating from Arcadia, Jeremy Kramer ’15 was awarded a highly competitive internship at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in the South Asian Art Department under the supervision of Assistant Curator Dr. Ainsley Cameron. Kramer’s placement in this curatorial department was unique because the museum’s South Asian galleries are currently closed for reinstallation.

Kramer’s work largely consisted of behind-the-scenes tasks within the scope of curatorial museum work: extensive research in the museum’s collection database and preparations for Dr. Cameron’s upcoming exhibition Drawn from Courtly India: The Conley Harris and Howard Truelove Collection, an insightful look at preparatory drawings made in the courtly workshops of India.

Kramer devoted a significant amount of time to create social media content about the South Asian collection to garner interest in the collection’s reinstallation in late 2016. This gave him the opportunity to be part of the museum’s Social Media Committee for the duration of his internship. It also allowed him to research the entire collection and learn about all aspects of South Asian art. Kramer shares, “In the end, I found that my outsider’s perspective helped me write thoughtful posts, which will continue to be released on the Museum’s social media platforms until the collection’s reinstallation.”

The prestigious internship program at the Philadelphia Museum of Art offers an in-depth view of the museum that even some permanent staff members seldom see. Kramer adds, “One of the things I appreciate most about the internship program is that it illuminates all of the exciting and diverse work that goes on at the museum. I made valuable connections that I know will help make my career goals a reality.”

Read More