Adeniran ’18 and CSX Transportation Donate $3,000 to Media and Communication Department

By RetterJ | January 18, 2017

Through a freelance position with CSX Transportation, Video Communication major Sarah Adeniran ’18 documented the beautification of Cook-Wissahickon Elementary School—and contributed $3,000 to Arcadia’s Media and Communication Department.

After responding to the company’s call for videographers, Adeniran captured CSX staff and community members—including volunteers from City Year, Action for Healthy Kids, and Arbor Day Foundation—planting trees, revamping basketball courts, and painting the school’s interior and exterior. Taking the creative reins, Adeniran developed a shot list and editing strategy inspired by the spirit of the community.

“I felt this was a great opportunity to gain experience filming for a major company, as I’d never done anything like it before,” said Adeniran. “Typically, my videos follow some sort of narrative or script that I write. This was my first time filming naturalistically.”

As part of her compensation, CSX offered to support a nonprofit organization of Adeniran’s choice.

“The Media and Communication Department is providing me with the tools and resources to grow in my field,” said Adeniran. “It’s the foundation through which I discovered my love for video. I know that the Department will use this donation to continue to invest in students like me.”

“The faculty, staff, and students of the Media and Communication Department are extremely proud of Sarah’s dedication, creativity, and engagement with our community,” said Associate Professor and Department Chair Lisa Holderman. “We are excited to use the donation to fund initiatives that will benefit student projects and activities.”