Dr. Campbell Creates Playlist for “How We Fight White Supremacy” Publication

By Caitlin Burns | April 1, 2019

Cover of How We Fight White Supremacy

Dr. Bruce Campbell Jr., associate professor of Education, contributed work based on the intersectionality of his research on music, leadership and social justice to the new book, “How We Fight White Supremacy: A Field Guide to Black Resistance” by Akiba Solomon and Kenrya Rankin.

In addition to an essay on how music can be a tool for reflection, motivation, and connecting with others, he crafted the “Liberation Playlist,” which features music from black artists and activists such as Nina Simone, James Brown, OutKast, and Kendrick Lamar. The book offers a collection of art, music, and sermons highlighting black resistance throughout history, and offers readers ideas on how they can contribute to the fight for freedom and justice for the community.

“I use music as a tool for resistance in two ways,” said Dr. Campbell. “First, I find solitude in it. Its different genres, vibes, and textures are the soundtrack of my life. Second, I use music for inspiration. Sometimes it’s powerful lyrics, other times it’s pure musicianship. Either way, it pushes me as I resist, offering me salvation, fuel for my soul, and the will to continue the fight.”

Dr. Campbell was awarded the Dr. Norman Johnston Faculty Fellowship in the Humanities and Social Sciences in 2018 for his project, “Dust + Dignity Podcast and Workshops: Exploring Social Justice and Leadership Through Music,” a podcast series and set of workshops to encourage effective and socially responsible leadership, will open opportunities for community and organization leaders to share their stories and practices with others. In addition to his scholarship, Dr. Campbell runs the independent record label Record Breakin’ Music, and performs as “DJ Junior.”

Two book reading events with the authors will be held in Philadelphia– April 3 at Penn Book Center, 130 S. 34th St., from 6:30 to 8 p.m. and then, on April 4 at Uncle Bobbie’s Cafe and Books, 5445 Germantown Ave., from 7 to 9 p.m.