Coping with COVID-19
As a close-knit community, we acknowledge that many students and staff are having a tough time dealing with and adjusting to this new reality. The #COVID19 virus has shifted our lives and created a great deal of change. About a week ago, my mother was diagnosed with the virus while also being a cancer patient. It has been hard on me and my family, the uncertainty of it all almost crippling.
Here are some ways I have dealt with it, to help any of you who may have to deal with a person you care about becoming sick:
- Do research, but not excessively. It is important to know the facts, but don’t go down a rabbit hole.
- Call them—your loved ones appreciate hearing your voice.
- Keep yourself safe. They want you to be careful.
- Distract yourself: paint, draw, write, watch tv or your favorite movie, and message a friend.
- Know that your loved one is in the hands of wonderful, essential nurses and doctors who are doing everything they can to help them.”