Hause ’20 Uses Business Savvy to Help Sydney Based Organization

By Caitlin T. Burns | November 20, 2019

Hause in the Figure 8 Pool

Business Administration major Ryan Hause ’20 never dreamed he’d be helping with marketing, social media, advertising, and contract reviews in Sydney, Australia.

Spring 2019 found Hause at a crossroads: stay in Glenside, or take advantage of a final study abroad opportunity as an undergraduate. As a junior commuter student and Glenside resident, Hause had never been on a plane before. He decided not to let fear get the best of him, and signed on for the semester-long internship in Sydney.

“I didn’t know what to expect, and it ended up being a disaster getting there,” said Hause, as he recounted a journey that took over 40 hours. After a layover in Texas, he encountered flight delays and re-routes, that meant he missed the first day of orientation. “Now, I think back and remember it as fun trying to navigate the airports. Studying abroad was the best decision of my life.”

While in Sydney, he worked as a business development intern for City Community Tennis, an organization that aims to make tennis affordable and accessible to everyone in the community. For 12 weeks, Hause assisted management with tasks that promoted the organization through targeted marketing and advertising efforts on social media and further developed CCT’s collaboration with the city through contract and key performance indicator reviews. As part of his internship, he also researched how businesses impact the community around them.

“They kept me on my toes,” Hause said, reflecting on how each day would be a different project. “There’s so many benefits to interning abroad, but most important is that you learn to work with a diverse workforce. I worked with people from all around the world, and each person has their own way of doing things. So, it opens you to accepting new ideas.”

While interning, Hause also attended classes at the University of Technology Sydney. However, not only did he learn about marketing and business, he also learned about himself as well. Hause traveled around Australia, within a few hours of Sydney. He discovered a passion for working with people and serving others. And he had “the best day” of his life at the Figure 8 Pools in the Royal National Park.

View of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House during Sydney’s Vivid Light Festival.

“It felt like we were standing on the edge of the world,” Hause said. “It solidified the whole thing for me.”

The Figure 8 Pools are a natural pool formation approximately 30 miles south of Sydney, and can take several hours to reach via a hike through the mountains. 

“I think about Australia every day,” said Hause. “Studying abroad taught me so many things: accountability, responsibility, kindness, the list goes on. Traveling is one of the greatest things you can do, and if I can do it, anyone can.”

If you’re an Arcadia student interested in studying abroad, take the first step by contacting the Office of Study Away.